Mini Micro: a new programming environment for beginners (and non-beginners!)

I wanted to share what I’ve been working on lately, and hopefully even find some people who want to use it! :slight_smile: It’s a virtual computer called Mini Micro. It’s a neo-retro, modern 80s-style home computer from an alternate universe!

Mini Micro is built entirely on a new scripting language called MiniScript. MiniScript is clean, modern, and can be explained in a single page. I put a lot of effort into making MiniScript easy to learn, simple, and consistent, yet powerful enough to do real work.

You can use MiniScript itself on the command line, or right within your browser, but Mini Micro is probably the most fun way to use it. It adds a sophisticated (yet easy!) display of text, sprites, and (soon) tiles, so you can easily bang out games like this:

Mini Micro is still in development… the first 0.1 downloads will be available this weekend. (There’s a version of it up on the web, too, but you can’t save your code, so it’s sort of like a store model — it’s just for kicking the tires!)

MiniScript is open-source, and both it and Mini Micro are free. I have a good job and don’t need to make money from this. I just want to help people get into coding, and have a ton of fun doing it!

If anybody would be interested in learning MiniScript and playing with Mini Micro, let me know! You’re getting in on the ground floor, and your input will help me make it even better. :slight_smile:

Mini Micro version 0.1 is now available for download! See the official announcement here.

MochiBounce

Version 0.2 is now available. It adds support for sound effects! See the official announcement here.

Incidentally, if anybody is interested in learning game programming — or just using games/simulations to learn programming in general — feel free to hit me up. I’m looking for people to mentor on their path to coding enlightenment via MiniScript/Mini Micro. (At no charge of course.)